Outdoor furniture is designed to withstand the elements to stay comfortable and attractive for years to come. Yet each season presents new challenges from the elements, and improper care and storage can lead to damage over time. To ensure that your patio décor stays in great condition and is ready to enjoy at a moment’s notice, follow these simple lawn furniture care tips from Adirondack Furniture.
Out in the Sun
Deck furniture sees the most use during the spring and summer months when warming temperatures and bright sunshine beckon us outdoors. Yet while the weather is usually mild, lawn furniture still needs attention during this time. Your spring and summer lawn furniture care should include:
- Blocking extensive sunlight: Limit direct exposure to harmful UV rays by strategically placing awnings and umbrellas on your deck. As a bonus, this will create comfortable shade for you and your guests as well.
- Regular cleaning: Keep an eye out for the buildup of dust, dirt or mud on your furnishings. Wipe the surface clean with a damp cloth, or simply spray items down with a hose if the material is water-resistant. However, avoid letting water pool and collect on the furniture after cleaning to prevent discoloration and mildew.
- Keeping cushions dry: Leaving any cushions or pillows you use on your furniture out during a summer storm can allow mold and mildew to grow on the damp surface. It’s a good idea to store these items whenever you’re not using them to keep them dry.
Packing up for Winter
Once the temperature starts to drop as winter approaches, it’s time to begin preparation for storage until spring. Before you pack everything away, give the furniture a good cleaning and wipe down to get rid of any dirt and moisture that can allow mold to grow over the coming months. Once everything is spotless, you have two main options on how to handle your furniture during winter, which are:
- Put it into storage: If you have space to store your furniture in a shed or garage, this will provide the most protection away from the elements. Cover the furniture with a tarp or fitted cover to prevent scratches and dust accumulation. No matter how much space you have in the garage, you should bring your cushions and pillows inside if possible so they don’t freeze or get wet from the snow.
- Cover them up: If you don’t have the room to fit your furniture in a safe place inside, you should be fine to leave the pieces outside if you take the right precautions. Furniture made from wood should have a protective sealant applied that prevents moisture from seeping in and causing it to splinter or crack. After you apply the sealant, put covers over the furniture to further block moisture from reaching the surface.
Learn More about Outdoor Furniture
Your lawn furniture allows you to enjoy the outdoors while in the comfort of your own backyard. By using these simple care tips, you will be extending the life of the furniture so you can utilize it for years to come. If you’re still searching for high-quality and stylish outdoor furniture for your patio, check out the full assortment from Adirondack Furniture. Visit us in Syracuse and East Syracuse to learn more and explore all we have to offer.